On the morning of March 9, 2018, the second Project Steering Committee (PSC) “ Promoting the energy efficient industrial boilers, adoption and operating practices in Vietnam” was organized at HQ of Ministry of Industry and Trade in Hanoi.
PSC reported the implementation progress of the Project in 2017 and Action plan of 2018 as well as some problems which need to be consulted by members of PSC and feedback from.
There are 10 PSC members from related ministry/department who participated in the meeting such as: MOIT, MONRE, MOLISA, MOST; ECCs (Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh and Da Nang) and representative from United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) in Vietnam and HQ.
By 2017, the project has been implemented for more than 10 years. With the efforts of PMU and close guidance of General Directorate of Energy (currently is Department of Energy Efficiency and Sustainable Development); many activities in the framework of the project has been implemented as below:
- 02 national standards on industrial boiler have been added/ amened to prepare for submission to the Ministry of Science and Technology for promulgation;
- Industrial boiler database has been developed and is being completed for application;
- Capacity and ability of evaluating efficiency/operating /manufacturing of energy efficient boiler of relevant stakeholder were also enhanced through expert training program on energy efficient boiler and 06 training courses for industrial enterprises (users and boiler manufacturer) on boiler performance evaluation and solution for improving energy efficiency at Hanoi and HCMC.
- 06 demo projects on improvement of energy efficient boiler were implemented, 02 boiler replacement projects and 72 industrial enterprises registered to get technical support from projects to implement boiler energy efficiency improvement projects.
Overall, activities of the project have been implemented in line with the plan set out in 2017 and have achieved certain results. However, some activities of Component 2 & 3 are still in the process of being prepared (for example, the selection of enterprises participating in the demonstration project replacing the boiler, the process of collecting data of industrial enterprises …). The PMU also plans to accelerate the implementation of these activities in 2018.
After the presentation of the project implementation progress in 2017 and the work plan of 2018 by the representative of the PMU, members of the PSC had many comments and feedbacks for certain issues of the project. In conclusion, members of PSC evaluated the project being implemented in the right direction and at the same time make recommendations on some activities to focus and accelerate the implementation in 2018, details as follows:
- Develop a guideline for supporting mechanism, loans and tax support for improving industrial boiler efficient
- Implement training course on evaluation of energy efficiency industrail boiler investment projects for financial institute/banks
- Coordinate with project’s partners such as boiler manufacturer, accreditation institute to promote demo project implementation process and replication of replacing old boiler with new energy efficient boiler
- Complete the amendment / supplementation of 02 national standards for industrial boilers for early submission
- Prepare a monitoring and evaluation plan to collect data on energy efficiency, emission reduction and project co-financing of the Project.